Our Mission and Vision
The mission of Providence Baptist Church is to connect people to Jesus Christ and to each other through worship, fellowship, evangelism, missions and ministries.
History of Providence Baptist Church
The history of Providence Baptist Church – Rico – began in the early 1800’s, in a rural community called Piney Wood, in Campbell County, Georgia.
The church was a one-room log cabin located on Garrett’s Ferry (now Kite Rd), approximately one-half mile from the site of the present church. This first church was Primitive Baptist, which most likely meant its church services consisted of preaching, praying, and singing. As time progressed, many members changed their scriptural viewpoint and became Missionary Baptists at heart, so they decided to procure a track of land and build a Missionary Baptist Church.
1852 – New Church
In 1852, a new church was built on land deeded by Mrs. Buran. The one-room frame building was constructed on Campbellton-Redwine Road, the site of the current church. Reverend James Rainwater served from 1852-1869, and also served three years at the “old” church.
A vestibule was added some years later and was converted into two Sunday school rooms. In 1856, the first Sunday school was organized and by 1917, three more Sunday school rooms were constructed. In 1936, Saturday services were discontinued. In 1889, the community’s name of Piney Wood was changed to Rico.
1945 – 1950 Renovations
Between 1945 and 1950, church repairs included re-roofing, painting the interior and exterior, refinishing the floor furnaces and installing memorial windows. By 1952, more Sunday school rooms had been added due to the addition of Sunday services and Sunday school. In later years, the interior of the church was once again remodeled. The choir loft was moved directly behind the pulpit and new pews were installed.
1961 – Pastorium Built
In 1961, Mr. J. B. Smith donated land for a pastorium which was built adjoining the church property. This was a three-bedroom home constructed of red brick with white trim. In 1995, the pastorium was remodeled with the carport converted into a large den with a bathroom and utility room.
1974 – 1983 Renovations
In 1974, the dining room, kitchen, nursery, bathrooms and several more Sunday school rooms were added to accommodate membership growth. In 1978, the Sanctuary was renovated, and in 1983, because of much needed repair, the steeple was replaced with a fiberglass steeple. The building’s front appearance changed with a larger porch, wider steps, and pillars.
1980 – 1990 Renovations
Additions to the church property from 1980-1990 included a wheelchair ramp with covered parking for access to the church, a paved basketball court, a storage building, playgrounds for children, sidewalks connecting the pastorium and church, a new sound system, and a 15 passenger van.
2004 – 2006 New Building is Built
In 2004, Providence Baptist received funds through a benefactor for the purposes of constructing a new building. Church membership and additional generous benefactors augmented those funds to complete the building in 2007. The new building houses a kitchen, rest rooms fully equipped with shower facilities, and a large meeting room. In 2006, another benefactor donated a new 25-passenger bus.
Providence Baptist Membership
Providence Baptist continues to grow in membership and to participate in mission activities throughout the community, the state, the nation, and the world. The church is a mission-minded church, supporting the Cooperative Program and other mission programs throughout the year.
Providence Baptist Church is a member of the Fairburn Baptist Association. The Association has held four of their fall and spring meetings in our church. The church is also a part of the Georgia Baptist Convention and Southern Baptist Convention.
The source for this history of Providence Baptist Church – Rico is an article written by Mrs. J. B. (Lee Nora) Smith, with additions made by her granddaughter Bonnie Melear Goode, titled, “A History of Providence Baptist Church 1852 – 2002.