The beginning of a New Year is a time for making resulutions. Resolutions are made to lose weight, save money, spend more time with family, to name a few. Recently, I was in a conversation about making resoltuions and the person with whom I was conversing stated, "My resolution is to show kindness to others."
I am sure all of us would agree that the world in which we live needs more kindness. Each day finds us hearing of violence stalking the streets of our communities. Broken relationships litter the emotional landscape. "A word fitly spoken" is difficult to hear yet is soothing to the soul. There is a contribution we all can make to improve the quality of life of others. We must do more than resolve to be kind. Kindness must flow from the words we speak, the attitudes and actions we share.
Blessings come with kindness. When we share kindness with others, we are communicating the following:
1. KIndness reveals that God gave us the capacity not only to receive kindness, but to share kindness.
2. Kindness communicates that we want the best for others.
3. Kindness reveals God is the creator of kindness and shares His kindness with us.
4. We are to show kindness to others gladly. Paul wrote in Romans 12:8b. "And if you have the gift for showing kindness do it gladly.
5. We must remember when we share kindness with others we are following the example of Jesus who spent his life speaking words of kindness and sharing deeds of kindness.
6. We have not forgotten a lesson learned in childhood, "Be Ye Kind."
Prayer for the New Year:
Our Father, We give you praise for a time of beginning again. As we walk into the experience of a New Year, we do so with the assurance that we are not alone, You are with us. Give us a willingness to learn from You the importance of being kind to others. Give us the wisdom to know that lives are blessed through kind words and kind deeds. We give you praise for the kindness You share with us each day. Empower us through Your spirit to exemplify the spirit of Christ throughout the days ahead. In the strong name of Jesus I pray. Amen.